Sunday, June 7, 2009

Books 9, 10, and 11 - L.J. Smith's Night World No. 1


Tackling something a bit different this time. An multiple book tome. L.J. Smith's Night World No. 1: Secret Vampire; Daughters of Darkness; Spellbinder.

--

Finished 'Secret Vampire' at 38 hrs 22 minutes.

Finished 'Daughters of Darkness' at 42 hrs 31 minutes.

Finished 'Spellbinder' at 46 hrs 43 minutes.

All 3 of the books contained in this tome are great stories. The way they're laid out reminded me of some of the old TV serials like Outer Limits or Tales from the Darkside. The recurring theme are the rules governing Night World, they're the rules that keep the creatures of the night seperate and 'safe' from human interference. In each of the three tales the characters skirt the rules and consequences around them.

I've got approximately and hour and 1/2 left of reading. My wife is absolutely wonderful for putting up with me. I've been reading for 46 hours straight. During this time she's been providing me with snacks, drinks, and moral support. Putting up with the fact that I have a book in my face while eating dinner and basically sacrificing my presence for as long as this competition has gone on.

I'm sorry that in my semi-sleep deprived state, I've only just now noticed the people that have left comments for me to read. -Thank you!- I appreciate the support, contact, and communication. I apologize as well that I'll answer them, but, only after finishing my 48 hours and getting some rest. I've not socialized yet, and don't intend to detract from the challenge I gave myself to read for 48 hours straight any more then I've had to with the twitter posts and blog updates.

I will say, that at this point, my body has given up on obtaining sleep, and I seem to be a bit more lucid (god only knows if I really am) then I have been in the past 12 hours. Almost feel a bit hyper since the ending is coming up.

Going to be finishing the contest reading Jeanne DuPrau's The City of Ember.

2 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work! You have 10 hours to go! You can doooo it! :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments and encouragement, sorry I didn't reply in the contest. Didn't even realise people were paying attention to me till the very end. I wonder if anyone else besides you and I have the levels of insanity required for 48 hours x.x; I wonder how the tie(s) will be settled?

    ReplyDelete