Sunday, June 7, 2009

48HBC Finished.

So.... I'm finished. I'm horribly tired again. As if what's been building up has suddenly slapped me with a sledgehammer. I'm at a loss for really what to say and my brain throbs as I try to compile the totals.

I made 12 blog entries prior to the competition ending. Each entry starting with a blurb announcing the book and being edited when I finished the book to include a small portion of my thoughts about the book.

I also made infrequent updates to twitter, not sure whether to consider those networking or blogging, however, they were made only a few times in the middle of a book, mostly when I finished a book I posted that I'd finished it and that I was moving on.

All in all, I logged 61 minutes blog/networking. They were merely hiccups in my reading meant to assure people I was still alive and still reading. I'm kinda upset that it added up to that much time, even though it counts for the contest, it -does- mean if I want to be truly honest with myself about reading for 48 hours straight, after this post I have to go back to a book for another hour.

I have to say thanks again to the people commenting, the people congratulating, and so on. Also have to give thanks to my wife once again for putting up with all this silliness and making it possible for me to devote every waking minute to it and tolerating it well.

So. Totals!

Blogging/Networking: 1 hour 1 minute
Reading: 46 hours 59 minutes
Breaks: 0
Snacks: 12 granola bars, 2 apples.
Drinks: 14 bottles of water were sacrificed.
Pages Read: 3374 :: 1.52 pages per minute.

Final thoughts.

I went into this because I felt like I had the time to spend and I generally don't do a whole lot better with my time. I didn't imagine that it would actually exhaust me to the point it did. I've been up for many a 48+ hour stretch due to back pain and insomnia, so I didn't think reading would add too much to the normal fatigue. I was dead wrong. If I ever participate again, I don't think I'll aim for a 48 hour solid stretch.

9 comments:

  1. Woooow... 47 hours?! I don't know how you did it. Good job, you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose 'with great difficulty' would be awfully cliche? I'm used to being up for the long stretches, but, the level of fatigue reading adds on the brain was immense. At about the 24 hour mark I wasn't sure I was going to make it, but, after pushing through that, it kinda went away. I'm still not asleep even though I kept telling myself at the end I was gonna nap immediately after finishing. I'm finding myself restless now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 47 hours!?!? That is phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 47 hours is still a bit short, even though I can report participating for the full 48 hours, I didn't have the foresight Liyana did. She can pretty much claim 48 hours actually reading due to the audiobook factor (being able to listen to a book while posting blogging etc.)

    I'm still awake, I think I broke my sleep button :(.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow! Don't know how people can go completely without sleep. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you asleep now? I think you're great, managing to actually READ for 48 hours. :O Great job, I hope to see you participating again next year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Official congratulations for being a winner of the 48 Hour Book Challenge! Please email me with your address and the types of books you'd prefer. With so many winners tied for first place, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the Catching Fire, so if this isn't a book that you're excited about, please let me know that too. My email:
    MotherReader AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! It paid off! You were one of the lucky winners!http://www.motherreader.com/search/label/48%20Hour%20Book%20Challenge

    ReplyDelete