Thursday, June 18, 2009

Book Review: Suzanne Collins - Catching Fire

Title: Catching Fire
Author: Suzanne Collins
Format: ARC
Length: 391 pages
Ages: 12 & up
Grades: 7 & up
Summary:
Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge


I was excited to find my ARC of Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins in the mail today. I'd won a copy of it from MotherReader's 48 Hour Book Challenge thanks to a gracious extra donation of the book. So, first thing, I ripped the book out of the envelope and examined it thoroughly. I've never read through a book as fast as I did Catching Fire. Anyways, on to the review.

Suzanne Collins continues the storm she began brewing with The Hunger Games. It doesn't relent for one second the entire book. Katniss continues to grow in multiple ways. She becomes more aware of her own feelings and more aware of the forces in play around her. Unfortunately, the other characters don't share as much growth or shine nigh as bright as Katniss. This is perhaps reflective of Katniss' world in general. She is very self-focused and she being the one telling the story, it's perhaps meant to be that way. There's no real complaints cause as I was reading I was enthralled. Only in hindsight writing this review do I even bother to think about how each individual character changed, if at all, throughout the story. The worst part is that there's more to come in another book that won't be available for quite some time and I'll be pining for more the entire time till then.

I will say that if you've read The Hunger Games this is a must-read book. If you haven't, then you definately should, and then read Catching Fire.

1 comment: